A postdoctoral research associate position is available at the Biodesign Institute at Arizona State University (ASU). The candidate will be part of the Computational Genomics lab (the Lab) and the Bioinformatics Core facility (the Core), co-located in the Biodesign Institute and led by Prof. Li Liu. The Lab focuses on developing novel computational methods to discover disease biomarkers by integrating genomics, phylogenetic, population genetic, statistical and machine-learning techniques. The Core helps address bioinformatics needs from other research labs at ASU, with an emphasis on method development for big data analytics and personalized medicine. The successful candidate will contribute to research in the Lab and in the Core. The dual role of this position offers a great opportunity for the candidate to establish a solid research profile in computational genomics/bioinformatics and to form close collaborations to expand their research horizon and impact.
In particular, under guidance from Dr. Liu, the candidate is expected to
- Conceive and design experiments and develop algorithms to analyze large-scale genomic data and clinical data, focusing on biomarker discovery for disease diagnosis, prognosis and therapy.
- Collaborate with the Genomics Core facility on NextGene sequencing data analysis and other research groups at ASU to provide bioinformatics support.
- Publish scientific papers from the results of the research work in appropriate refereed scientific journals and present findings at local and national research conferences and forums.
- Conceive, write and submit grant proposals and contribute to writing grant and contract proposals.
- Help to train and supervise graduate students in the Lab and in the Core.
- Work toward research independence.
- PhD in bioinformatics, computer science or related field with strong computational component is required.
- Knowledge of machine-learning and experience with big data analysis are highly desirable.
- Sound knowledge of systems-level biological data. Exceptional candidates in Computer Science who are willing to learn genomics are also encouraged to apply.
- Knowledge of population genetics is a plus, but not required.
- Proficiency in at least one programming/scripting language (e.g. Java or Perl)
- Proficiency in at least one statistical or scientific computing package (e.g. R or Matlab)
- Detail-oriented, flexible, self-motivated
- Excellent verbal and written English communications skills
- Ability to work as part of a team
Instructions to apply
This position will remain open until filled. To apply, please send cover letter, CV, summary of past work, and the names and email addresses of three references to Dr. Li Liu (email@example.com). Please put “Postdoctoral Research Associate” in the subject line.
The Biodesign Institute Mission
The Biodesign Institute at ASU addresses today’s critical global challenges in healthcare, sustainability and security by developing solutions inspired from natural systems and translating those solutions into commercially viable products and clinical practices.
Created on the premise that scientists can overcome complex societal issues by re-imagining the “design rules” found in nature, the institute’s researchers are addressing an expansive array of global challenges by creating “bioinspired” solutions, including: new vaccine discovery and delivery; early detection and treatment of cancer and infectious diseases; techniques for detecting and removing contaminants from air and water; and the application of nanotechnology for biomedicine and electronics. To advance its bio-inspired research mission, the Biodesign Institute has established more than a dozen different research centers, labs and 200 active research projects. Its 65 tenured research faculty, who include one Nobel Prize winner and four National Academy members, publish in top-tier, high impact scientific journals and collaborate with research and commercial enterprises around the world.
Arizona State University is a VEVRAA Federal Contractor and Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will be considered without regard to race, color, sex, religion, national origin, disability protected veteran status, or any other basis protected by law.
ASU’s full non‐discrimination statement https://www.asu.edu/aad/manuals/acd/acd401.html
Title IX statement https://www.asu.edu/titleIX/